The General Officer Commanding 2 Brigade, Brigadier General Michael Beary, has extended an invitation to ARCO members to the Defence Forces’ annual commemoration of our first Commander-in-Chief, General Michael Collins.
The commemoration takes place in Cathal Brugha Barracks at twelve noon on Saturday the 22nd of August, the 93rd anniversary of the death of General Collins. The event will be attended by the Chief of Staff, along with members of the Collins family.
The event will comprise of a remembrance ceremony at the General Collins Memorial in Cathal Brugha Barracks followed by a lecture entitled “Glorious Madness – military aspects of the 1916 Rising”, which will be delivered by Captain Lar Joye (RDF), Curator of Military History at the National Museum of Ireland.
Click HERE for an outline of the day’s programme.
ARCO members should indicate their intention to attend, not later than the 17th of August 2015, to Sgt Ruarí Byrne at email@example.com and should also indicate if they will avail of lunch in the Barrack Dining Centre.
A few additional administrative points received on 17th August:
- Guests are asked to arrive not later than 1115hrs.
- Tea and coffee will be made available at the rear end of the dining hall from 1030hrs.
- The Main Barrack Gate will be locked at 1145hrs to ensure there is no interference with the ceremony.
- The Canal Gate will be open from 1000hrs to facilitate entry to and exit from the Barracks.
- Meal tickets will be available for purchase at the Tea/ Coffee area and in the NCO dining hall at the Archives' display.